Farm Industry News



Someone told me that if you have an older-style vehicle, you can't burn E85 in it because it will burn up the valves in six months. I just wanted to know if that was true. I'd like to try a few gallons of it.
Michael Young
Garner, IA

In really old vehicles, those not designed to run on unleaded gasoline, any unleaded fuel will damage the valves. Lead acts as a lubricant between the valves and valve seats, cushioning the valves when they close. Without lead's cushioning, the valves effectively weld to the seats on impact until the cam forces them open again. This creates small pits on the seats and valve faces. Commercially available lead substitutes should be mixed with the fuel for these vehicles.

No vehicle, regardless of vintage, should be run on E85 unless it was designed to do so. There are two issues. The first is chemistry. Ethanol is corrosive and can attack parts from the fuel pump to the injectors to the exhaust components. On flex-fuel vehicles, all components that come into contact with ethanol are designed to withstand this corrosion.

The second is engine design. Ethanol has a high octane (100+), so it burns slower than gasoline or gasohol (10% ethanol). Flex-fuel vehicles compensate for this, using the electronic engine control module to alter such things as ignition timing.

For more information, review “E85: Convert or buy new” in our May/June issue. — Richard Ries


I need some parts for a Manley hydraulic press made by ACCO Equipment Division of American Chain & Cable Co. Inc. I would appreciate it if you can locate the company for me.
Dennis Olson
Peosta, IA

The ACCO company is more than 100 years old and is now a part of the FKI Group of companies. A list of ACCO distributors is available online at In Iowa, contact Peerless Supply Inc., Box 3307, Des Moines, IA 50316, 800/362-2150. A company representative said there is a good chance he will be able to locate what you need if you send him model information.


I am looking for parts for a hand-operated hydraulic jack used to lift wagons manufactured by Walsh Manufacturing Company in Iowa.
Ron Haugrend
Lyle, MN

Contact Walsh Equipment, 614 Corning Ave., Des Moines, IA 50313, 515/282-8397.


We need information on a plastic, round fence cap cover with Crown imprinted on it. We believe that it was from a company called Farm Trol in Theresa, WI.
Deloris Gabler
Augusta, WI

Contact Farm 'Trol Equipment, Attn. Jack Burns, 409 Mayville St., Theresa, WI 53091, 920/488-3221.


We are looking for a portable space heater, model B-250, made by Master Vibrator Co., Dayton, OH. We need ignition parts for sure, maybe some others. Thanks for your help!
John Mack
Waterville, MN

Contact Master Distributors, Box 141727, Grand Rapids, MI 49514, 888/917-2244, or if you know the part numbers.


Please contact us if you have comments about our stories or a question about where to find parts. We would also like to hear from you if you have additional information or suggestions about where to locate hard-to-find parts.

MAIL Farm Industry News,
7900 International Dr., Suite 300,
Minneapolis, MN 55425

E-MAIL [email protected]

CALL 800/722-5334

Hide comments


  • Allowed HTML tags: <em> <strong> <blockquote> <br> <p>

Plain text

  • No HTML tags allowed.
  • Web page addresses and e-mail addresses turn into links automatically.
  • Lines and paragraphs break automatically.