Each growing season, custom applicators spend long hours in the field applying fertilizer and crop protection products over millions of acres. The spring planting season is especially demanding, as professional operators race the clock to complete farmer field applications on schedule.
That’s why recent advances in application equipment not only focus on improved accuracy and efficiency, but also on greater operator comfort and safety.
“Agri-retailers make a significant investment in training their professional applicators because of the important role they play, so increasing their comfort and safety is essential,” says Dave Lovell, field sales and marketing support manager for AGCO Application Equipment.
Like what you’re reading? Subscribe to Farm Industry News Now e-newsletterto get the latest news and more straight to your inbox twice weekly.
Lovell notes that recent enhancements to AGCO’s RoGator sprayers specifically address this objective for professional operators, as well as large farming operations that have their own application equipment. Design enhancements include:
- Unobstructed visibility in all directions during operation due to a six-post cab design with large windows on all four sides, including a wide, panoramic front windshield and curved windows in the corners.
- A lower boom position when configured for liquid application during transport and superior lighting to provide improved road safety.
- Wider cab entry for easier operator access.
- A one-level, slatted walking platform for firmer footing and more accessible daily engine maintenance, plus a lower first step from the ground onto the walkway.
- Right-side armrest that holds all the functions needed for field operations. This console “floats” with seat movement so operators don’t have to reach or search for a control while operating the machine.
- Switch styles that don’t require applicators to look at the switches during field operation.
- Positive cab pressure and a three-level air filtration system that keep the air inside the cab virtually dust-, chemical- and odor-free.
- Automatic temperature control to provide a continuous, comfortable environment without having to adjust the cabin temperature.
- Sound-dampening material strategically placed throughout the cab to reduce external noise, allowing for one of the lowest noise levels on a self-propelled applicator.
- An “air ride” cab suspension system and semi-active seat suspension for a more comfortable ride over rough field terrain.
“Demanding work schedules are just part of the job for many operators,” Lovell says, “but making them safer and more comfortable can also translate into greater efficiency. A safe, happy operator is a productive operator.”
For more information, visit agcocorp.com.