Rain continues in the Midwest, which just adds more misery to problems caused by river flooding. Heavy rains also create ponds in fields with newly emerged crops.
The effects of the wet weather are uncertain. Corn markets were up one day with news of potential problems from the rain and down the next with speculation that the rain and warm weather will enhance crop growth.
1. Standing water looks like streams running through the newly emerged crops.
2. Ponds develop in rich, flat fields.
Heavy clouds hang over fields already showing uneven growth due to excessive rain.
4. Saturated soils are unable to quickly absorb heavy rain.
5. Four inches of rain drowned some new plants in fields near St. James, MN.
6. More wet fields and threatening weather near St. James,MN.