Syngenta just received EPA registration for two refuge-in-a-bag products, Agrisure Viptera 3220 E-Z Refuge trait stack and Agrisure 3122 E-Z Refuge trait stack. The two seed products feature a 5% blended refuge in the bag for Midwestern corn growers as well as multiple modes of action for corn insect control.
“We are excited to announce EPA registration of these two refuge in a bag products,” said Jill Wenzel, Syngenta product lead, commercial traits.“Refuge in a bag delivers the utmost convenience for farmers, allowing them to more easily comply with refuge requirements while helping manage against the development of resistant insects with multiple modes of action.”
Agrisure Viptera 3220 E-Z Refuge
The Viptera 3220 E-Z Refugetrait stack is targeted to corn growers in geographies where corn rootworm management is not a primary concern. Each package will contain 95% seed of a corn hybrid containing the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait stack, which offers dual modes of action for control of multiple above-ground lepidopteran pests and corn borer, and features the Agrisure Viptera trait. The remaining 5% will be seed of a hybrid without insect control traits.
This blend enables growers to meet their refuge requirements as specified by the EPA for managing insect resistance. Both seed hybrids in the bag will feature tolerance to glyphosate herbicides. Growers in cotton-growing areas who plant Agrisure Viptera 3220 E-Z Refuge will need to plant a supplemental 20% refuge.
Agrisure 3122 E-Z Refuge
This trait stack is intended for use in areas where both corn rootworm and lepidopteran pest management are primary concerns, including corn-on-corn acres. Each package will contain 95% seed of a corn hybrid containing the Agrisure 3122 trait stack, which features dual modes of action against both corn borer and corn rootworm. The remaining 5% of seed will be a hybrid without insect control traits but with glyphosate tolerance.
In cotton-growng areas, a 20% refuge will need to be planted if the Agrisure 3122 E-Z Refuge is planted.
Trial results have proven the valuable control offered by the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait stack and the Agrisure 3122 trait stack. Results from multiple 2010 and 2011 regulated Syngenta trial locations showed that hybrids containing the Agrisure Viptera 3220 trait stack had more than 85% fewer ears damaged by corn earworm versus those without the Agrisure Viptera trait.
Trials completed last year showed that the Agrisure 3122 trait stack offered improved root protection. In seven high corn rootworm pressure trials, hybrids containing the Agrisure 3122 trait stack had a 0.1 root rating on the Iowa State University (ISU) scale, while hybrids containing a trait stack without a rootworm trait had a 1.6 ISU root rating.
Agrisure E-Z Refuge products will be available from Syngenta's Garst, Golden Harvest and NK seed brands.
For more information about the Agrisure family of traits, visit www.agrisuretraits.com .